Followers

Monday, February 7, 2011

Alone on a Bicycle for Two

She and Him have a song called Black Hole.
The best line of the lick is "I'm alone on a bicycle for two."
This song has been stuck in my head for a long time.
I have wrestled with these lyrics over and over again, piecing together and tearing apart what these words mean to me. They now mean a great lotty lot.

Word Picture
((Tandem biking is in my future. Hopefully near. Also this analogy is probably not very theologically sound. Sadly, though my dad is a pastor, his theology and wisdom did not pass to me.))

I feel like my relationship with the Lord is like a tandem bike. 
He's in the front and I am in the back.
He is there to guide me and he could drive the whole show without me.
BUT
He chooses to let me come along for the joy of the journey.
He has a purpose for my being there with him, things to reveal to me along the way as well.
Nice deal, eh?
BUT
Sometimes my black little heart tries to steal the show.
I try to steer the whole thing from the back, acting like he doesn't exist. 
I idolize myself, as well as my desires, as greater than God.

I'm alone.
On a bicycle.
That was made for TWO.

I Corinthians 10:14 "Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry."




No comments:

Post a Comment