Followers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011


I wish I could say I wrote this myself, but sometimes the words of other people provide so much insight into the cockles of my heart. 

Monster Wave
by Michael Johns

i stand.

my bare feet firmly planted
in shifting sand
as waves slap harmlessly 
against my chest.

unaware.

i look up and,
high above my head,
a monster wave
curls its white-capped claws.

unafraid.

i lean forward,
bracing myself
for the full force hit
of the killer wave.

fearless

i am smacked down hard
and pulled farther from shore
in a dizzying tornado
of swirling water.

trapped.

i force my eyes open,
feeling the hot sting
of salt and sand,
and see nothing.

darkness.

up, down, sideways i spin,
certain i must soon gasp for air 
and suck in an ocean.

helpless.

in mid-spin,
through swirling
specs of blinding sand,
i catch a glimpse
of light.

hope.

i shove my arms downward
and shoot up through the surface
into the brightness of day.

salvation

Romans 7:24-25a "Wretched [wo]man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment